"I Think Best in Wire" - A.C.


Alexander Calder's Goldfish Bowl, 1929
My dear friend Jane introduced me to Alexander Calder more than 20 years ago. His work has has been a great inspiration to me. He developed a method of sculpting by bending and twisting wire and invented the mobile. His jewelry collection, which he never wanted to be mass produced, was a lifetime of work that he created mostly for family and friends.

The spiral is one of the oldest forms of ornament.  Very eternal.  This is a brass necklace by Calder, circa 1938.
Check out his wife's dressing table. Lucky woman. Calder created jewelry simply working on an anvil and a bench, no welds or solders.  He produced about 1,500 bracelets, necklaces, brooches, earrings, and tiaras throughout his career.
He liked making his pieces one-of-a-kind, by hand, and with affection.  And so do I.  An original copper necklace, made only with my hands, a pair of pliers, a hammer and some Calder inspiration.  I think best in wire too.     ~Lori                             

Comments

  1. Beautiful copper necklace! Thank you, too, for sharing a bit about Calder's work.

    I've taken a wire class and basic metalsmithing. I love working with wire, but don't have the guts (yet) to do anything with it. One of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work on the copper necklace. I love spirals.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts